Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Random Essie Comparison: "Bobbing For Baubles" vs. "Mind Your Mittens" (+ 1 more!)

If you've taken a look at my blog before, then you'll know that this blog is essentially dedicated to Essie polishes. I do get in some time with other polishes, OPI being the only other brand I've reviewed so far. But I'm also partial to brands like Sally Hansen's X-Treme Wear line, Sinful Colors, & a few others.

I'll share those polishes sometime in the future when I'm able to pull myself away from my precious Essies. For now, here is a Random Essie Comparison between 1 of the new shades from the Winter 2013 "Shearling Darling" collection & 1 from Winter a couple of years back: here are "Mind Your Mittens" and "Bobbing For Baubles."

*no top coat use for any of the photos 
Ring/Index = "MYM"; Middle = "BFB"Pinkie = "Stylenomics" (taken w/ flash; 2 coats of each - 1 coat of "BFB")


No flash; under bright white lighting


Did you like how I just suddenly put "Stylenomics" in there? Haha. I thought that "Stylenomics" and "Mind Your Mittens" looked really similar to each other when I saw them. But, I saw that when put together, "Stylenomics" is much darker than "MYM." It really brings out the teal in "MYM."

And now, "Bobbing For Baubles"!! This one's a rich, dusty navy blue. I have come across this shade several times over the last couple of months at a few CVS stores that hadn't updated their displays in a while, & was getting mildly fascinated with it. 

For some reason, it reminds me of "MYM" as well. I guess because of the "dusty" qualities of these shades. "MYM" is a dusty dark teal, "BFB" is a dusty dark blue. So, they're kind of cousins, right?


Under direct sunlight, no flash ("BFB" = middle/pinkie; "MYM" = index/ring; "BFB" in hand)


So, there you have it. They do look remarkably alike under shade and bright white lighting. In sunlight, however, the true colors really come out. "BFB" is navy blue, and "MYM" teal. If you wear them both at the same time, though, likely nobody will be able to tell they're different colors

1 other big difference: "BFB" only needs 1 coat for full opaque coverage. "MYM" can have full coverage in 1 coat, if your hand is steady enough. But, it most likely will come out a little streaky on the first coat. 2 is recommended for "MYM."

As far as clean up goes, neither leaves stains! Which is always good news for polish. 

Final verdict: I really can't justify having both in my collection seeing as I'm not a huge fan of dark colors, although I only have 1 other navy shade in my whole collection (Essie "Midnight Cami"). So, if you're someone who already has "MYM" or vice versa,  and think you can live with the very minor color difference, then you're set. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment